Home Occupation Licenses:

Please complete the Home Occupation Supplement and submit it to the Town of Woodway after you have completed the application process through BLS. You may email it to

We are pleased to announce that the Town of Woodway has partnered with the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS) effective 11/07/2019. BLS will process the Town of Woodway’s business & home occupation licenses and renewals to provide one-stop online licensing. Please note: renewals and new licenses are no longer an over-the-counter process. If you know you will need a license, please plan ahead to ensure you can work in Woodway.

Registering with the Town of Woodway through the Business Licensing Service


Our partnership with BLS will allow you “one-stop shopping” when maintaining or renewing many of your state and local licenses. New or expanding businesses will be able to apply for their town license online along with other state and local licenses that partner with BLS. We are sure you will value the savings in travel time, wait time, and bookkeeping costs that this service represents.


  • If you do not have a current Town of Woodway business or home occupation license, you will need to apply through the State BLS portal starting November 7.
  • If you have a current business or home occupation license, you do not have to take any action right now. In mid-November, the Business Licensing Service will send you a license renewal letter with instructions on how to renew your Town of Woodway business or home occupation license. You may use E-check or credit card to make payment for online transactions. If you prefer to renew your license by mail using the BLS renewal form, please do so in plenty of time to reach BLS before the expiration date and include a check made out to DOR for the appropriate amount. If the renewal is received after the expiration date, a late filing fee will be assessed.


What fees will I have to pay?


For renewals, you will still pay the Town of Woodway business license fee. The first BLS renewal may be prorated for less than a year in order to change your current city license expiration date to match with the expiration date BLS already has for your business in their system. BLS recently updated their fees - you can find the list on their website here.


If you have questions                                                               


For more information, visit the BLS website at or call BLS at 1-800-451-7985.

The Town Council recently passed Ordinance 18-597, (effective January 1, 2019), updating Woodway’s business license regulations to comply with changes in state law. They also used this as an opportunity to update the home occupation section and combine it with the business license section. The major changes included in the updated Woodway Municipal Code (WMC) Chapter 4.01 are:

  1. The adoption of the model language used to define “engaging in business” and various exemptions.
  2. The home occupation regulations (formerly WMC Chapter 4.02) have been incorporated into WMC Chapter 4.01.060.
  3. The Town previously determined that home occupations that did not generate additional vehicle traffic would not be required to obtain a home occupation license. The updated regulations require a business with a physical location within any of the Town’s residential zoning districts to obtain a business license and to also comply with the regulations in WMC Chapter 4.01.060. If the annual value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the business in the Town is equal to or less than $2,000, the business license fee shall be waived.

If you feel that, based on the amendments to the WMC, your company does not require a business license, you are not required to obtain a license. If you choose not to obtain a business license at this time, please remember to do so before working in Woodway or you may be subject to late application penalties. Please call Town Hall if you have any questions or concerns about your business license. Thank you and we look forward to working with you in the coming year.

The license fee, for those above the $2,000 threshold, remains $50.00 per 12-month period.

Pet Licenses:
Woodway requires licenses for dogs per WMC 5.04.030. If you would like to purchase a license for your cat, you are welcome to do so, but they are not required. *Note* Woodway has no animal control department to capture and return lost pets. We also have no equipment to read microchips. If you need to replace a lost tag, please come to Town Hall during business hours. Replacement tags are $10 each.

Lifetime Dog/Cat License - $50.00

Large Functions:
If you will be hosting an event that will include 100 or more people, you are required to submit a Large Function Application to Town Hall for review at least 14 days prior to the event per WMC 6.12.020. Please include a parking plan per WMC 6.12.030 (A) (7) and also review WMC section 6.08.031 regarding the noise ordinance. All vendors need to comply with the Town's business license regulations (WMC 4.01). If you have any questions, please contact Town Hall.

Large Function Application

If you would like to make an online payment for a pet license, click here: webhome_XBP_Button_rectangle

© 2023 Woodway, WA

23920 113th Place W. | Woodway, WA 98020 | 206.542.4443

The Town presents the information on this Web site as a service to its citizens and other Internet users. Although this site may contain information about legal issues, it is not intended to be legal advice. Additionally, due to on-going changes in Town, state and federal law and other factors, we make no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content at this site or at any other sites to which we provide links.

Powered By Revize Login