We are pleased to announce that the Town of Woodway has partnered with the Department of Revenue’s Business Licensing Service (BLS) effective 11/07/2019. BLS will process the Town of Woodway’s business & home occupation licenses and renewals to provide one-stop online licensing. Please note: renewals and new licenses are no longer an over-the-counter process. If you know you will need a license, please plan ahead to ensure you can work in Woodway.
Registering with the Town of Woodway through the Business Licensing Service
Our partnership with BLS will allow you “one-stop shopping” when maintaining or renewing many of your state and local licenses. New or expanding businesses will be able to apply for their town license online along with other state and local licenses that partner with BLS. We are sure you will value the savings in travel time, wait time, and bookkeeping costs that this service represents.
- If you do not have a current Town of Woodway business or home occupation license, you will need to apply through the State BLS portal starting November 7.
- If you have a current business or home occupation license, you do not have to take any action right now. In mid-November, the Business Licensing Service will send you a license renewal letter with instructions on how to renew your Town of Woodway business or home occupation license. You may use E-check or credit card to make payment for online transactions. If you prefer to renew your license by mail using the BLS renewal form, please do so in plenty of time to reach BLS before the expiration date and include a check made out to DOR for the appropriate amount. If the renewal is received after the expiration date, a late filing fee will be assessed.
What fees will I have to pay?
For renewals, you will still pay the Town of Woodway business license fee. The first BLS renewal may be prorated for less than a year in order to change your current city license expiration date to match with the expiration date BLS already has for your business in their system. BLS updated their fees on July 1, 2020 - visit their website to view the current fees.
If you have questions
For more information, visit the BLS website at http://bls.dor.wa.gov/ or call BLS at 1-800-451-7985.
The Town Council passed Ordinance 18-597, (effective January 1, 2019), updating Woodway’s business license regulations to comply with changes in state law. They also used this as an opportunity to update the home occupation section and combine it with the business license section. The major changes included in the updated Woodway Municipal Code (WMC) Chapter 4.01 are:
- The adoption of the model language used to define “engaging in business” and various exemptions.
- There is a mandatory minimum $2,000 threshold exemption for businesses who do not maintain a place of business within the Town. If your annual value of products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income of the business in the Town is equal to or less than $2,000, you are not required to obtain a business license.
- The home occupation regulations (formerly WMC Chapter 4.02) have been incorporated into WMC Chapter 4.01.060.
If you feel that, based on the amendments to the WMC, your company does not require a business license, you are not required to obtain a license. If you choose not to obtain a business license at this time, please remember to do so once you meet the $2,000 threshold or before working in Woodway, or you may be subject to late application penalties. Please call Town Hall if you have any questions or concerns about your business license. Thank you and we look forward to working with you in the coming year.
The license fee, for those above the $2,000 threshold, remains $50.00 per 12-month period.
*Note* If you are a Woodway resident who has a home-based business, you need to complete the Home Occupation Supplement in additon to the Business License application. Click here for details.
Real Estate Open House Sign Permit:
Real estate open house signs are permitted according to these regulations. Please submit payment according to the number of people who will be using the permit.Real Estate Open House Sign Permit - One agent: $50.00, Two to five agents: $100.00, Six to ten agents: $200.00, Eleven or more agents: $300.00
If you would like sell products/services or solicit donations door-to-door in Woodway, you will need a Peddler/Solicitation permit.
If you would like to make an online payment for a Real Estate Open House Sign Permit, click here: